Monday, June 27, 2005

Steamy


The Takin It To the Streets show with J5 and Brother Ali was bonkers!!!!

I have to say that Jurassic 5 sans Cut Chemist absolutely ripped it. The crowd of mostly local hip hoppers and devout Muslims (after all it was there event) were feeling it and giving them the love they rightfully deserved.

Getting there a little early before the set, I was walking over to the Redbull truck to get my Redballs on and happened upon Chali Tuna just standing there shooting the breeze with a friend. I didn't realize I walked by until he was right next to me. I swear he had his hand out before I even said anything, I mean we have kicked it before but I swear he acted like he knew me. Needless to say he is one of the coolest, most down to earth dudes around. Always has love for his fans especially those in the Chi.

J5 absolutely owned the stage and looked real happy to be there. Ran through there certified classic cuts as "Quality Control" "Improvise" "Freedom" and of course "I Am Somebody" The real treat was preview of some new tracks from their upcoming LP. Kind of some disco funk break/G Funk type sound clocking in on house tempo...I was feelin it. Capped off with the Ramsey Judson request "A Day at the Races".

Perhaps the most intriguing part of the set was Numark playing the podium (yea thats right). He taped up some sort of crude drum pads to a wooden upright podium and proceeded to bang out the Neptunes produced Clipse beat "Grindin"...hot shit. His next bag of tricks was playing a childrens toy where he had classical loops layered with a trumpet noise he blended in. A true jedi master. Why doesn't he do his own shows?

Next to the stage was the white Albino Muslim from Minneapolis (sounds like an oxymoron huh?). I've heard the hype about this guy as he's developed a serious following as of lately with the backpacker type hip hoppers. I must say that I have jumped on this man's bandwagon. Though he looks kinda funny (a shaved bunny rabitt to be exact) don't judge a book by its cover as the old cliche goes. Not only does Ali have temendous stage presence but he can tell a story down to its vivid detail. If you get a chance to see him live...do it, you will not be disappointed. I saw more people mouthing his lines than I did J5.

Check out more pics of the show here

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home